31st of December, last day of 2013, we had several dinner invitations which we courteously denied. Wife just wanted an intimate, near-proximity, "us" family affair to usher in the new year.
The weekend before, she got lucky and stumbled upon a store sale-- scored a Cornell food steamer at almost half the price! Hooray to more healthy-prepped, non-greasy meals! :) It was put into good use this day as she prepared the, for-special-occasion-only-back-then, siomai. It's ground pork dumpling topped with quail egg. She added to her recipes line-up her well-loved and tested by me and Casey (trust me, if he could, it's all he'll eat!) lumpia and fruit salad <-- this one's definitely a must-try dessert she's accomplished.
I fixed my grilled white pomfret fish and mixed stirred vegetables or as we commonly call it in Filipino, chop suey. Of course, we also got our 13 circle-shaped fruits; the reason, you'll have to ask my wife. (rolling eyes, smh). It's one of those traditional sh*t I'm not convinced of. As I tell her, you start the year on a bad foot dumping those bizarre, unfamiliar, CIRCULAR produce that go to waste. Lol.
For me, the non-adherance to that tradition goes deep. Personally, I can't say I believe in God and at the same time believe on those (including wearing circle prints on shirt). Only He knows our destiny. Nobody and nothing can influence nor re-write our life's story. But yeah, I'd rather compromise, have peace and unity at home (every husband should know this by now). It doesn't hurt to have colorful fruits on the table and polka dot shirts anyways just for the fun of it. Haha.
 |
| Throng of revelers awaiting the fireworks at Boon Lay Place |
After that heavy meal, we briskly walked towards this entire stretch of road that has been closed to car traffic. Boon Lay Place. As soon as we got there, 'WOAH!' We never expected such a tremendous amount of crowd... seemed like we just got there in time for the grand finale! Looking around this jam-packed street, I saw smiles as everyone was in ecstatic and thrilled as they fix their attention to this one spot just behind the trees. In less than than 10 minutes, this happened:
Pardon the cut-off view and shortened recording of the fireworks. I was more overwhelmed by the congregation of these residents who came to witness. All the while I was thinking only Marina Bay can draw such a massive audience on occasions like this, boy was I mistaken!
After the smoke has been blown away, cheers died down, and many exiting the quadrangle, we got closer to the stage to watch the remaining acts. While the band was performing, a group of Bangladeshi men (smack right in the middle of the crowd) carved out some space for them to do some comical hoot and offbeat dance steps to the delight of everyone. Not sure if they were tipsy but they sure were having a time of their lives in an amusing way.
 |
| A local punk rock band took center stage and performed more songs post-firework display |
 |
| Mandarin-singing, local pop teens thank and greet the crowd |
 |
| Leaving the grounds after the concert |
As it was way past midnight, we thought he was extremely sleepy and tired already as he wasn't as animated and chatty as he used to be. We went past the playground and as soon as he saw kids frolicking around, he slid right off his mommy's arms and climbed up the slide. He had another definition of fun in mind. So yeah, I had to chase him as he was warming up again. Thankfully, he's mature enough at his age to understand that we weren't staying for long. Well that and persuading him to see the deflated air balloon.
As we were headed home, we noticed several patrol cars stationed within the vicinity. But what stopped us walking, were these men armed with broom sticks and trash bins parading the street barely 15 MINUTES after the entire jamboree! Me and Nina looked at each other and smiled, impressed by their quick and collective effort to tidy up the road.
Such a simple and ordinary act that remind us why Singapore is a progressive, first and world-class country. I am personally privileged to have celebrated new years with my family around these simple yet extraordinary individuals who have built this great nation.
As soon as we reached the end of the obstructed street, someone may have radioed the safety officers as they were already removing the blockades. We were glad everyone gets to go home in high-spirits, safe and sound-- a HAPPY NEW YEAR indeed!
No comments:
Post a Comment